Monday, February 25, 2013

Tyrconnell Madeira Cask (Irish Single malt)



TYRCONNELL 10-YR MADEIRA CASK

If you’ve read any H&T, you’ll know I loves me some Irish; you’ll also know it’s a category i find to be much undervalued, at least here in the PDX, my bailiwick.  For my birthday, I decided to explore the top shelf… Tyrconnell, a wonderful single-malt distilled at Cooley, comes in three ‘extra-aged’ versions, finished in port, sherry, and madeira casks, respectively.  Having previously tried whisk(e)y finished in the first two media, and a fan of the fortified wine in question that initially seasoned these barrels, I went with the Madeira cask.

N:  Fleshy tropical flavors (papaya, liliko’i) hung on a wide swath of funk, much like the animality underlying the bright citrus of a calamansi; calvados and lemon candies
P:  Chamomile tea, papayas, and white peppercorns; whiskey’s answer to torrontes; cookie dough and fine vanilla bean-infused creme fraiche…

Tropical and dense, almost excessively so; kinda like a version of Slieve Foy on steroids.  This is delicious and interesting, but in the end perhaps a bit overwrought.  It may well be ‘worth’ the $80 price tag, but there are other Irish single malts on which I would probably spend my money next time.  The aforementioned Slieve Foy, weighing in at $30 less, comes immediately to mind…

No comments:

Post a Comment